At the end of 2018, BMW Motorrad introduced the successful range of products offered by M Automobile for motorcycles and has since offered M special equipment and M Performance Parts. With the new BMW M 1000 RR – hereinafter referred to as M RR for short – the first M model from BMW Motorrad based on the S 1000 RR (RR for short) is now celebrating its world premiere. BMW Motorrad follows the philosophy of the strongest letter in the world: M is synonymous worldwide with success in racing and with the fascination of high-performance models from BMW and is aimed at customers with particularly high demands on performance, exclusivity and individuality.
With an engine power of 156 kW (212 hp), a DIN empty weight of only 192 kg, and chassis technology and aerodynamics designed for the highest racetrack performance, the new M RR meets essential expectations in the top segment of superbikes.
M RR four-cylinder RR-based engine developed for racing purposes: More top performance and increased maximum speed.
The new M RR uses a water-cooled four-cylinder in-line engine based on the RR engine, which has been extensively modified in the direction of racing engines, with BMW ShiftCam technology for the variation of valve control time and valve stroke. Its peak power of 156 kW (212 hp) is reached at 14 500 min-1. The maximum torque of 113 Nm is 11 000 min-1. In addition to a maximum speed increased to 15 100 min-1, the M RR motor has far-reaching technical optimizations such as new 2-ring forging pistons from Mahle, adapted combustion chambers, increased compression to 13.5, longer and lighter titanium connecting rods from Pankl, narrower and lighter towing levers, fully machined inlet channels with new channel geometry as well as optimizations on cam shafts and suction tract. Equally new is the lightweight titanium exhaust system. The new M RR engine is even more powerful than the RR engine in the range of 6 000 min-1 to 15 100 min-1, which is particularly relevant for the race track, but without losing its qualities as a fascinating source of power for sporty country road races.
M Winglets and high windshield: Later brake and accelerate earlier thanks to the aerodynamic downforce without sacrificing the top speed.
Aerodynamics was an essential point in the specifications of the development work for the M RR. In addition to a maximum speed that is absolutely necessary for race victories, the M RR's specifications also set another goal: the best possible contact between the wheels and the road – especially when accelerating. The M Winglets on the fairing front, developed during intensive test drives on the race track and in the BMW Group wind tunnel and manufactured from visible carbon, take this into account, as they produce aerodynamic downforce and thus additional wheel loads depending on speed. The additional wheel load on the front wheel counteracts the wheelie tilt, the traction control regulates less, more driving force is converted into acceleration and the driver achieves faster lap times. The effect of the winglets is also noticeable in the bend and during braking, the downforce allows later braking and ensures increased cornering stability.
Suspension design trimmed to the racetrack insert with changed geometry, optimized wheel load distribution and extended adjustment of the swinging pivot point.
The chassis of the new M RR is based on the RR with the aluminium bridge frame as the centrepiece and features an optimised upside-down fork as well as a redesigned central spring leg with blue spring and Full Floater Pro kinematics. In the chassis design, the primary goal was to achieve the best possible lap times on the race track. The chassis of the M RR is therefore uncompromisingly designed for the race track, but also convinces with qualities for the country road. Particular attention was paid to the optimization of the driving behaviour, the brake and start-up nick compensation as well as the best possible feeling of the driver for the front and rear wheels.
For the first time M brakes at BMW Motorrad as well as M Carbon wheels in series.
With the new M RR, a BMW motorcycle with an M brake is available for the first time, similar to bmw M GmbH's automobiles. It was developed directly from the experience with the racing brakes of the BMW Motorrad factory racing machines in the Superbike World Championship and offers maximum fading stability and dosing ability. Externally, the M brake calipers mark a coating in blue anodising in conjunction with the M logo. With the M Carbon wheels, the new M RR features additional high-tech components for maximum performance on the track and road.
Instrument combination with perfectly readable 6.5-inch TFT display and OBD interface for M GPS datalogger and M GPS laptrigger that can be used via unlock code.
The instrument combination of the new M RR essentially corresponds to the RR and offers an M start-up animation. As part of the optional equipment, comprehensive data material for the use of the M GPS Laptrigger and the M GPS Datalogger (original BMW Motorrad accessories) can be provided via the OBD interface of the instrument combination via the OBD interface of the instrument combination.
Born for racing: M Design and dynamic design language of the M RR signal ultimate racetrack performance.
The new M RR emphasizes its racing genes with the colour position Lightwhite uni/M Motorsport in the basic colours light blue, dark blue and red. Other features of the M RR are the engine lids in granite grey as well as the black painted tank lid.
Uncompromising in design and technology: The M RR with M Competition package.
If the new M RR in the series trim is not yet enough, the M Competition package provides a fascinating mixture of noble components for the racing technology gourmet and the aesthetes at the same time. In addition to the M GPS Laptrigger software and associated activation code, the M Competition package includes the M milling parts package, the M carbon package as well as a 220 g lighter swingarm in silver, the friction-optimized, low-maintenance and DLC-coated M Endurance chain as well as the passenger package including hump cover.
Highlights of the new BMW M 1000 RR.
• M RR four-cylinder based on the RR engine developed for racing purposes. Even more peak power, higher torque in the middle range and 500 min-1 more maximum speed.
• Power 156 kW (212 hp) at 14 500 min-1 and thus 4 kW more than in the RR. Maximum torque of 113 Nm at 11 000 min-1.
• New 2-ring forged pistons each 12 g light, adapted combustion chamber and increased compression to 13.5. In addition, narrower and lighter towing levers.
• Fully machined inlet channels with new channel geometry and BMW ShiftCam technology for variate valve control time and valve stroke.
• Titanium valves, on the side with a new spring package, narrower and 6% lighter towing levers and optimized camshafts.
• Very light, compact basic motor with longer and 85 g lighter titanium panels from Pankl for reduced friction and lighter weight.
• Anti-hopping clutch without self-amplification optimized for race starts.
• Optimized suction system with shorter intake hoppers for optimized charge changes at high speeds.
• New 3,657 g lighter exhaust system with manifold, front silencer and titanium rear silencer.
• M Winglets and high windshield: Brake and accelerate earlier later, and more stability in the curve thanks to the aerodynamic downforce without sacrificing top speed.
• "Rain", "Road", "Dynamic", "Race" and "Race Pro1-3" driving modes as well as the latest generation of Dynamic Traction Control DTC and DTC Wheelie function with 6-axis sensor box.
• Two adjustable gas characteristics for optimal response. "Engine Brake" with triple adjustment of the motor towing torque in the "Race Pro" mode.
• Switching assistant Pro for fast power up and down without coupling. Easy reversibility of the switching scheme for racetrack use.
• Launch Control for perfect race starts and pit lane limiters for exact speed in the pit lane.
• Hill Start Control Pro for comfortable start-up on slopes.
• Suspension design trimmed to the racetrack insert with changed geometry, optimized wheel load distribution and extended adjustment of the swinging pivot point.
• Optimized upside-down fork and redesigned central spring leg with Full Floater Pro kinematics.
• For the first time M brakes at BMW Motorrad: The M RR with maximum braking performance for the race track.
• M Carbon Wheels: Noble high-tech components for highest performance on the track and road.
• Instrument combination with large, perfectly readable 6.5-inch TFT display, start-up animation with M logo and OBD interface for M GPS datalogger and M GPS laptrigger that can be used via unlock code.
• Lightweight M battery, USB charging socket in the rear, powerful LED light units, electronic speed control and heating handles.
• M design and dynamic design language signal ultimate racetrack performance.
• M Competition package with M GPS lap trigger and activation code, M milling parts package, M carbon package, silver, 220 g lighter swingarm, DLC-coated M Endurance chain and passenger package including hump cover.
• Extensive special accessories and optional equipment ex works.