With the further development of the BMW M 1000 RR – M RR for short – BMW Motorrad is setting a new milestone in the field of superbikes homologated for racing. The new M RR uses the well-known water-cooled four-cylinder in-line engine, designed for racing purposes, especially the Superbike World Championship. As before, its peak output is 156 kW (212 hp) at 14,500 rpm. As before, the chassis of the new M RR relies on the aluminium bridge frame as the centrepiece, supplemented by an upside-down fork and central strut with Full Floater Pro kinematics. The new M 1000 RR is available in two versions: as the M RR basic variant in the basic colour Lighwhite uni and as the M RR M Competition in the basic colour Blackstorm metallic.
Massively increased top speed with significantly increased downforce thanks to new fairing, new M winglets, new front wheel cover with integrated M Brake Ducts and new M Aero Wheel Covers.
The increased potential of the new M RR is primarily the result of the massive further development of the aerodynamics. In particular, a newly designed fairing made of exposed carbon fibre with a higher windscreen ensures a significant increase in top speed in conjunction with optimised air flow around the driver. For the first time, a particularly light yet very rigid fairing front carrier made of carbon is also used in this fairing. The top speed of the new M RR has increased from 306 km/h to 314 km/h compared to the previous model. In addition, the driver of the M RR benefits from a noticeable physical relief.
In the course of this aerodynamic development, the M winglets were also completely revised. They now produce significantly more aerodynamic downforce – both when driving upright and in an inclined position. Even greater confidence of the driver in the front wheel for even greater lean angles or higher cornering speeds with the same lean angle as well as reduced wheelie inclination are the positive effects. At the same time, the driver benefits from a massively increased top speed.
Another central point in the optimization of the overall aerodynamics was the area of the front wheel. For the first time in the history of BMW Motorrad, brake cooling air ducts made of exposed carbon fibre are used here. They are integrated into the new front fender, optimised for improved air flow around the fork bars and brake calipers. The M Aero Wheel Covers, also made of exposed carbon, further improve driving resistance – especially at speeds above 250 km/h. The M Aero Wheel Covers are reserved for the M RR M Competition.
M carbon wheels with new surface and M design tapes. Forged wheels optional ex works.
In the new M RR, the M carbon wheels impress with a new clear coat coating. New tapes in M design on the rim edge underline the elegant technical appearance and racing standards of the new M RR. As an alternative to the M Carbon wheels, the new M RR can now also be ordered ex works with forged wheels.
Redesigned rear section, ergonomic M Endurance seat, short license plate holder and modified wiring harness.
A redesigned rear section makes the current M RR look even lighter, sportier and more dynamic. Also new are the short license plate holder and the ergonomically designed M Endurance seat. Thanks to a modified wiring harness with lumbar plug, the now shorter license plate carrier can be dismantled even faster and easier with light units.
The highlights of the new BMW M RR and M RR M Competition.
• M RR four-cylinder developed for racing.
• Power 156 kW (212 hp) at 14 500 min-1. Maximum torque 113 Nm at 11 000 min-1.
• 2-ring forged piston
• Fully CNC-machined intake ports and BMW ShiftCam technology to vary valve timing and valve lift.
• Titanium valves, optimized camshafts and narrow and lightweight cam followers.
• Very lightweight, compact basic engine with Pankl titanium connecting rods longer than the S 1000 RR and 85 g lighter for reduced friction and lower weight.
• Anti-hopping clutch without self-amplification optimized for race starts.
• Optimised intake system with shorter intake funnels compared to the S 1000 RR for optimised charge exchange at high speeds.
• Light exhaust system with manifold, front muffler and rear muffler made of titanium.
• NEW: Drastically optimised aerodynamics with more downforce even when leaning, while at the same time increasing top speed from 306 to 314 km/h.
• NEW: New fairing in exposed carbon with new fairing front carrier made of carbon and new exposed carbon M winglets.
• NEW: New exposed carbon front fender with integrated brake ducts.
• NEW: M Aero Wheel Covers made of exposed carbon.
• NEW: M carbon wheels with new surface and M Design tapes.
• NEW: Forged wheels optional ex works.
• NEW: Redesigned rear section.
• NEW: Ergonomic M Endurance seat.
• NEW: Short license plate holder.
• NEW: Modified wiring harness with lumbar plug for even easier disassembly of the license plate carrier with light units.
• Riding modes "Rain", "Road", "Dynamic", "Race" and "Race Pro1-3" as well as the latest generation of Dynamic Traction Control DTC and DTC wheelie function with 6-axis sensor box.
• Two adjustable throttle characteristics for optimum responsiveness. "Engine Brake" with triple adjustability of the engine drag torque in "Race Pro" mode.
• Shift Assistant Pro for fast upshifts and downshifts without clutch. Easy reversibility of the gearshift scheme for racetrack use.
• Launch Control for perfect race starts and pit lane limiter for exact speed in the pit lane.
• Hill Start Control Pro for comfortable starting on inclines.
• M brakes: Maximum braking performance for the racetrack.
• Instrument cluster with large, perfectly readable 6.5-inch TFT display, start-up animation with M logo and OBD interface for M GPS dataloggers and M GPS lap triggers that can be used via activation code.
• Lightweight M battery, USB charging socket in the rear, powerful LED light units, electronic cruise control and heated grips.
• M Competition package with M GPS lap trigger and unlock code, M milled parts package, M carbon package, natural anodised swingarm 220 g lighter than the basic version or S 1000 RR, DLC-coated M Endurance chain and pillion package including hump cover.
• Comprehensive optional accessories and optional extras ex works.