Classic roadster for dynamic country road experiences and classic cruiser for cool, relaxed motorcycle enjoyment.
"With the new BMW R 12 nineT as a Classic Roadster and the R 12 as a Classic Cruiser, we are seamlessly continuing what began in 2013 with the R nineT. Thanks in particular to the new frame concept, an even more classic and puristic design has been achieved. Superior propulsion is provided by the air/oil-cooled boxer engine with new airbox, which has its roots in the legendary sports boxer of the HP 2 Sport from 2007. With its four radially arranged valves, it is one of BMW's absolute engine icons." Josef Miritsch, Head of Boxer Air Series BMW Motorrad
The new BMW R 12 nineT and R 12: classic roadster for dynamic country road experiences and classic cruiser for cool, relaxed motorcycle enjoyment.
With the R nineT in 2013, BMW Motorrad presented more than just a roadster based on a classic model. Rather, from the very beginning, it combined classic motorcycle design and modern technology with a high level of craftsmanship and a wide range of possibilities for customizing and thus individualization. Just a short time later, attractive derivatives were added to the R nineT and an entire model family was created for the BMW Motorrad Heritage World of Experience.
For the new BMW R 12 nineT, the guiding principle during development was therefore "The Spirit of nineT" and the associated objective of seamlessly following in the footsteps of the successful R nineT and carrying on its archetypal look, timelessness and high customising qualities. While the new R 12 nineT, as a classic roadster, focuses on both a stylish appearance in an urban environment and dynamic driving pleasure on winding country roads, the new BMW R 12 has the motto "The Spirit of Easy" – in the spirit of a classic crusier for cool and relaxed motorcycle enjoyment.
Great degrees of freedom for design, model variety and customizing. As classic roadsters and cruisers respectively, the new BMW R 12 nineT and R 12 combine the unspoilt character of the boxer engine and the design language of traditional motorcycle eras with innovative technology and a modular concept that offers the rider maximum customisation options. Reduced to the essentials, they inspire with a strong emotional appeal and accordingly the purist, classic appearance and great attention to detail were at the top of the agenda during the development of the design.
Original boxer engine with newly designed airbox and double-flow rear silencer. For 100 years now, the two-cylinder boxer engine and power transmission via shaft drive have been synonymous with BMW motorcycles. Accordingly, in the anniversary year "100 Years of BMW Motorrad", the new BMW R 12 nineT and R 12 once again put an exclamation mark behind this drive configuration, following the recently unveiled new BMW R 1300 GS. The air/oil-cooled boxer engine with a displacement of 1,170 cm3, which is already familiar from numerous BMW Motorrad models, delivers 80 kW (109 hp) at 7,000 rpm in the R 12 nineT and 70 kW (95 hp) at 6,500 rpm in the R 12. As part of the complete redesign of the chassis, the new R 12 models also feature a new airbox. It is now fully integrated under the seat. The demands of both a classically designed, sporty roadster and a cruiser are met by the "Twin Pipe" exhaust system on the left-hand side with two rear silencers with counter-cones arranged on top of each other.
New, one-piece tubular steel trellis bridge frame with bolted-on rear subframe. At the heart of the new BMW R 12 models is the all-new BMW R 12 Trellis tube bridge frame made of steel. It is now designed in one piece, whereas the frame of the previous R nineT series consisted of a front and a rear main frame. Accordingly, the new frame dispenses with the previously necessary bolting, which saves weight and ensures an even tidier and thus more classic appearance of the new R 12 models. Bolted to the main frame is the rear subframe, which is also made of tubular steel.
New classic round instruments as standard, as well as USB-C and 12V sockets. Digital display as an optional extra. The new R 12 nineT is equipped as standard with two analogue round dials for speed and revs, as well as a USB-C port on the left side and a 12 V socket for the on-board electrical system on the right side of the vehicle. As before, the circular instruments take into account the desire for the greatest possible degree of freedom in customizing with communication via LIN bus and a separation of the control and display units. In the new R 12, the instruments are limited to the speedometer as standard, but the rev counter can be retrofitted as part of the original BMW Motorrad accessories.
The new R 12 nineT as a roadster and the new R 12 as a cruiser, each in classic form and with optimum ergonomics. In the new BMW R 12 nineT, the aluminium tank with brushed and clear painted side surfaces, the seat and the hump form an ascending, dynamic line. Significantly improved ergonomics compared to its predecessor are provided in particular by the fuel tank, which is 30 mm shorter and narrower at the rear. The rider moves closer to the handlebars, benefits from an even better knee closure and sits on the bike with a more front-wheel-oriented attitude overall.
On the new BMW R 12, the steel tank, which is based on the so-called "toaster tanks" of the BMW /5 models of the 1970s, emphasises the typical design language of a cruiser and, in combination with the standard solo seat and the curved, low-placed rear wheel cover, forms a sloping line. The large 19-inch front and the small 16-inch rear wheel. The classic cruiser design is also reflected in the decidedly casual seating position with low seat height and wide handlebars.
Three attractive colour combinations each for stylish appearances as Classic Roadster and Classic Cruiser. The new BMW R 12 nineT and R 12 are each available in three attractive colour schemes:
R 12 nineT: Base colour Blackstorm metallic. Extra charge color San Remo Green metallic. Option 719 "Aluminium" in brushed aluminium / midnight black uni.
R 12: Base colour Blackstorm metallic. Surcharge colour Aventurine red metallic. Option 719 "Thorium" in Avus Silver metallic.
Highlights of the new BMW R 12 nineT and R 12
• Classic, purist design as roadster and cruiser.
• Original air/oil-cooled two-cylinder boxer engine.
• Workmanship with great attention to detail.
• Tailoring for customizing and customization.
• R 12 nineT with 80 kW (109 hp) at 7,000 rpm and 115 Nm at 6,500 rpm.
• R 12 with 70 kW (95 hp) at 6,500 rpm and 110 Nm at 6,000 rpm.
• Left-hand exhaust system with double silencer and tapered end pieces.
• New airbox, now integrated under the seat.
• One-piece tubular trellis frame with bolted-on rear frame.
• Upside-down telescopic fork at the front and Paralever swingarm with now slanted shock absorber with revised path-sensitive damping at the rear. On the R 12 nineT, the USD telescopic fork is fully adjustable.
• Radial mounted 4-piston monobloc calipers, braided steel brake lines and floating 310 mm rotors.
• Powerful brake system in conjunction with BMW Motorrad ABS Pro for safe braking even when leaning.
• Tailor-made customizing offer within the scope of original BMW Motorrad accessories in well-known premium quality.
• Standard driving modes "Rain", "Road" and "Dynamic" in the R 12 nineT as well as "Roll" and "Rock" in the R 12.
• Standard DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and Engine Drag Torque Control (MSR).
• New classic round instruments as well as USB-C and 12V sockets. Digital display as an optional extra.
• Powerful LED light units as standard as well as adaptive Headlight Pro cornering light as an optional extra.
• Keyless Ride as standard.
• Three attractive colour combinations each for stylish appearances as Classic Roadster and Classic Cruiser.
• Tailor-made customizing offer within the scope of the optional extras ex works and the original BMW Motorrad accessories in well-known premium quality.